Emotional Freedom Techniques BASIC RECIPE (Short Version – 6 STEPS)
1. LOCATE and RATE: Where in your body do you feel the emotional issue most strongly (head? belly? arm? etc) and what is the feeling (panic, anger, fuzzy, hot, pain, numbness)? Determine the intensity of what feels out of balance. Rate it on a scale of 0 to 10, assess the intensity of the problem, with 10 being the highest.
2. SET UP PHRASE: Continuously tap the karate chop point on the side of either hand (or rub the sore spot on the chest) while making the following statement 3 times. Include the current intensity level when you state the problem:
“Even though I have this 8 problem (see examples below), I choose to accept the part of me that’s feeling this way.”
(e.g., “Even though I have this 8 burning pain in my arm, I choose to accept the part of me that’s feeling this way. OR
“Even though I have this 6 intensity anger about my cousin – he’s an idiot, I choose to accept the part of me that’s feeling this way.” ETC
It’s really important to track the intensity with each round of tapping, so be sure to include the intensity # with each new round of tapping.
3. TAPPING SEQUENCE: Tap approximately 7 to 10 times on the tapping points shown in the diagram below. As you tap each point, say a brief Reminder Phrase that reminds you of the problem (e.g., “this 8 burning pain in my arm”, or “this 6 anger about my idiot cousin”, etc.).
This diagram shows the name of the tapping point, the energy meridian, and the associated emotion(s) (adapted from the work of John Diamond, M.D.) Tap on the areas shown in the diagram, then continue to STEP 4.
TH Top of Head
Bai Hui – meeting of 100 energy points
EB Eye Brow
Bladder – Trauma, Frustration, Restlessness
SE Side of Eye
Gallbladder – Rage
UE Under Eye
Stomach - Anxiety, Fear, Nervousness, Cravings
UN Under Nose
Governing Vessel – Embarrassment
CH Center of Chin
Central Vessel – Shame
CB Collar Bone
Kidney – Anxiety, Insecurity
UA Under Arm
Spleen – Anxiety, Fear of Future, Self-Esteem
BN Beneath Nipple (in alignment with nipple on top rib)
Liver – Unhappiness, Depression, Anger, Stress
Karate Chop (side of hand)
Small Intestine – Sadness, Psychological Reversals
Sore Spot (above the heart)
Lymphatic drainage point – alternative to Karate Chop point
4. REASSESS the intensity level after each round. Sometimes the intensity will go up when you start to address the issue. Stay with following what your body shows you. Continue tapping.
5. SUBSEQUENT ROUNDS: Do more rounds of tapping on all points, changing the SET UP PHRASE and the REMINDER PHRASE as follows:
NEW SETUP PHRASE: (Tap once on karate chop point):
“Even though I still have some of this (# problem), I choose to accept me anyway.”
Continue tapping on all points with the reminder phrase “this remaining (problem)“.
6. ASPECTS: An “aspect” is a different part of the problem. Maybe you started with “this 7 anger”, and afer a few rounds of tapping, the anger is gone and you feel sadness. Then tap about “this 8 sadness”.
Gary Craig, Founder of EFT, wrote a brilliant PERSONAL PEACE PROCEDURE. Please click here to read.